Monday, March 15, 2010

Waste, waste, waste! Over packaging is such waste!


I have stopped mall shopping a few years ago. I just don't like the atmosphere and some kind of guiltiness that I have to feel while spending time for only myself because my 15-year-old dog and cat cannot go with me. So, what do I do? Yes, online shopping. I even bought most of furniture and fixtures via Internet. Then, when I received packages, I can tell which companies are Eco conscious and which are absolutely don't care about our planet. Over-packaging is waste of materials and transportation, which increase a carbon footprints.

Cisco has taken up a pilot program for a packaging diet, and will see a savings of about $24 million just by getting smart and rethinking the materials and size of packaging, and the transportation of products. That's one of examples that shows that it is possible to reduce waste and costs at the same time.

Now, it's time for us to be "smarter" to choose the "smarter manufacturers".

http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/07/packaging-design-at-its-worst.php

No comments: